Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sex In The City

I know I haven’t written much about the guys over here. But I doubt everyone wants to read about my latest date. I have met some nice guys here, and made some good friends. Everyone has been really kind and welcoming to me. I thought I would write a piece about the gay life in Barcelona. It is a very embracing city. Gays are welcomed as part of the whole community. There is a gay section in the center of town. It is not like the Castro, but a lot of gay shops and hotels sprinkled liberally around the area. Most everything is way more sexual here. Several bars have underwear night, naked night, fetish night, leather night, whatever you are into night. They start at 10:00 and go on forever. Nothing really happens until around midnight. In any given night, you can hang out naked or in your underwear somewhere in the city. So be prepared to stay up all night. There are a bunch of dance clubs that are no different from what can be found at Badlands on any weekend. The music is the same, laser lights cutting through the machine induced fog, Madonna crowning her latest hits and of course hot guys dancing all around you half naked. The energy, music and flirting is all the same. The gay video stores make no pretense for what they really are. You can pay a flat fee, and you can watch all the video you want. There is plenty of opportunity to watch and be watched. It is more like a bathhouse without showers. Barcelona also has three gay beaches. One nude beach is about a 5-minute walk north of the port and another about a 15-minute walk south of me. So don’t bother bringing your Speedo and don’t ever think of bringing board shorts when you come to visit me. Of course this time of year there are not many souls brave enough to be naked. They say it will start to warm up in about a month. And during the summer, the beaches are packed. It seems like nudity is much more common in Spain than in France, Italy or Greece.

And the guys? If you like your men lean, fit, dark, gobs of thick black hair and larger than average uncut dicks, then this is the land of opportunity. If you like a little bulk on your guys, then hang out at the gyms. They are definitely more hunky there. And like most gyms, the steam room and sauna are a bit cruisey if you need a little relaxation after your testosterone-pumping workout. Their workout equipment is a bit shabby, but the eye candy seems to make up for that. There is one fitness club near Porto Olympic that has floor to ceiling views of one of the nude gay beaches. My friend John tells me that is quite a popular gym for the gay boys in town. Sounds like the view from there is enough to get even me on one of those hamster treadmills. Guess I signed up my gym membership on the wrong side of town. Most of the guys speak a little English and often are quite fluent. They are also very generous and kind. They are used to valuing friendships and once you are a friend, you are a part of their life. I had a guy I barely knew offer to show me around the city. He spent the entire day giving me the highlights of this beautiful area. We visited castles, museums old historical neighborhoods and parks. He is the one that clued me in on all the nude beaches. He took me to a wonderful tapas restaurant, and I literally had to force him to let me pay for lunch. He just wanted me to feel welcome and make sure I was enjoying my stay here. The guy was cute, in his late 20’s, driving a brand new BMW and fun to be with. He speaks French, English, Spanish, Catalonian and a little Romanian. No happy ending here, too bad he had a boyfriend. He invited me to have lunch with him and his bf next week. Now you gotta love that.

So circle your calendar, start doing those crunches, book your tickets and pack your bags. I hope you are all planning to come visit me soon.

No comments: