Sunday, June 16, 2013

Colorful Catania

This morning we left Catania, the second biggest city in Sicily. I remember last time how unimpressed I was with the city when we first got there. But the more time I spent there, the more I liked it. This time was even better. It is really a charming city. We wanted to visit the famous Belliniano Theater. It is really a gem of a theater. The ticket office was open when we got there, but the attendant told us it was not possible for us to tour the interior. It was closed to tourists. We tried to charm her, but she kept insisting that it was closed. Just as we were about to give up, a kind man told her that he would take us to see the interior. We walked into the cavernous auditorium and I have to say it was amazing. Then our guide told us he would turn the lights on for us. When he did, this jewel just dazzled. So beautiful and so regal. The man clearly had great pride in what had been created. Sometimes buildings and vistas dazzle me. This time, I have to say, it was the kindness of one old guy who took the time out of his busy day to show us both the warmth of the theater and of his heart. I love that.

No comments: