Monday, June 18, 2007

Toulon at last

The next day, I caught the train to Toulon from Paris. It is a beautiful way to travel through France. I am amazed at how open everything is. Most of the trip was traveling through verdant landscapes of va0p[o’rrying shades of green with rolling hills and crazy-quilt farmlands. The small villages that punctuated the journey were quaint stone houses and stores. What forests you do see seem to be new growth and managed. It looks like they are used more for the wood production than growing unmaintained. One interesting thing I noticed is that almost all the cows were an off white color and loved lying on the ground. I saw very few standing in the fields. They would group together in the corner of the field with obviously nothing to do but gossip all day about the farmer and his wife. I guess it is just part of the kick-back French attitude.

No comments: