Sunday, September 2, 2007

And So the Propeller Turns, We Hope

I met with the guys at Yanmar who are fixing my engine problem on Friday. They told me that they would need cash in order to obtain the part. So I arranged to get some cash and told them that I would meet with them on Monday morning. I got up early Monday morning, picked up the cash and headed to the dealer. Everything is working perfect. I just have to drop it off at the dealer and they should be able to fix my boat while I am gone. I am trying to remember how to get to the Yanmar dealer, but after picking my way through the streets of Athens, I get there only to find the place padlocked and the metal doors pulled down. I look at the time and realize it is noon, so I am thinking maybe they closed for lunch. It is not uncommon for businesses in Europe to close for a couple of hours during the middle of the day. But what is a little troubling is the note on the door written in Greek that says something about 11/08/07 through 29/08/07. Hummm.

So I go next door to the little coffee place and ask them if the business next to them is closed for lunch. He tells me they are closed until the end of the month......
What was looking very promising now has turned into a complete nightmare. Looks like the best laid plans are all falling apart.

I headed back to the marina and talk to Stallos, the Lagoon guy that has become my patron saint of broken boats and confused Americans. He looks a little worried and calls the mechanic. Turns out they delivered the part to the mechanic and I can go back and settle up all the money stuff with him. From the depths of the abyss to the shinning sunlight, hope once again surfaces. So I take a cab back to where I was, meet with the mechanic and hand over him the cash. He gives me a receipt and brings me along with the part back to my boat. They tell me they will start tomorrow and it should be done by the time I get back. With all fingers and toes crossed, I leave it in their hands. One last plead with my most hopelessly at their entire mercy plead, I give them a fond farewell

No comments: