Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Ruins, the Crab, the Turtles, the Royal Tombs and the Mud





The next day we anchor out in a quiet bay just north of Dallion. A small flatbottom boat picks us up right from the boat and takes us through the reeds that wind past an old Lycian ruin of a town. The boat continues up river to the town of Dallion. Across from the town are the royal Lycean tombs of once great kings carved in the solid rock cliffs. They look like monumental building with strong Corinthian columns and pendentive doorways. It is a very nice resting place. I am reconsidering a simple grave marker for when I die.

We stop for a nice traditional lunch and relax to enjoy the crowds and shops of the local merchants. Then we board the boat again to continue up river to the healing mudbaths. If you are feeling that you have read this before, it is because we were here two years ago. It is a fun outing and we wanted to share it with our traveling guests. We all had fun coating our bodies with thick gray mud and then letting it dry in the sun. The healing powers speak of taking twenty years off of your life. Since today is my birthday, I feel like it would be a perfect time to look 20 years younger. I might even try coating my body twice.

We get back to the boat and I cook a thai dinner of vegetables and chicken. The guys surprise me with a little birthday celebration along with a tart pie lit with the traditional birthday candle. We all got silly and ended up deciding to have an underwear night. So we are all running around in our underwear. Steve and I spin a little poi out at the front of the boat and the guys each give it a try with some more successful than others. Thanks, it was fun celebrating with you.

No comments: