Thursday, May 24, 2012

Shenjin, Our Last Albania Port

Our last port in Albania is Shenjin. This Asian sounding town is named after St. George. It is really a very small village that happens to have a small port mostly for commercial fishermen. We decide to anchor our in a nearby bay and avoid the congested port. Just about dusk, Steve notices a guy waving to get our attention on shore. It ends up being the harbormaster. Over the VHF radio he tells us we are required to go into the harbor to do paperwork. When we get there, we are informed we have to pay 100 euro to the port authority even if we are not staying at the harbor. I am pretty sure this is not legal but the harbormaster and agent insist. We end up spending the night tied up to a tugboat. There wasn’t even a berth for us to stay in. As we are leaving I tell them I will pay the 100 euro but I am also reporting this to the tourist ministry. I then pull out my camera to take the picture of the two guys. The harbormaster turns away. Yeah I think they totally were just trying to get a fee out of us. It is sad that our last port in Albania would leave such a bad taste in our mouths. I am ready to move on to Montenegro.

No comments: